Chocolate Drop Sugar Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- Additional Sugar
*To sour milk: Use 1 teaspoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1/3 cup.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture.
- Using ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop dough about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched lightly in center.
- While cookies are on cookie sheet, sprinkle lightly with additional sugar. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
Makes about 1 dozen cookies.
Source: National Confectioners Association