Cocoa Dusted Roast Strip Loin of Beef
- 2 lbs beef strip loin, trimmed clean with 1/8 inch of top fat
- Olive oil ~ as needed
- Cocoa powder ~ as needed
- Salt ~ as needed
- Pepper ~ as needed
- 1 oz. cumin/horseradish mayonnaise (recipe below)
- Leaf lettuce, tomato slices
- 8 whole grain rolls
- Rub strip loin with enough olive oil to glaze the meat.
- Lightly dust the beef with cocoa powder. A “dredge” works well for this.
- Salt and pepper and place in a 350 degree oven for approximately 50 minutes or until the meat reaches 140 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When the meat has cooled properly, slice thin across the grain (for tenderness).
- Place leaf lettuce and sliced tomato on the whole grain roll, layer a portion of beef on top (about 4 ounces) then finish with the cumin/horseradish mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise Ingredients and Instructions:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp horseradish
Source: NCA’s Chocolate Council and Levy Catering for McCormick Place, Chicago, Ill.